Data Hub Priority Plan 2021 Multi-scale integration
  • Assigned to
    Aristide Athanassiadis
  • Subscribers
    Aristide Athanassiadis
    Carolin Bellstedt
    Paul Hoekman

You are not logged in

Please join us and let's build things, together!

Description

The goal of this task is to find the shapefiles of the 102 counties in Illinois and add the files and source to the Data Hub. It should be open source and not copyrighted, so that we can use it.

Once you've located it, please upload them to the city of Chicago (one of our flagship cities).

Discussion and updates

New task was created

Task was assigned to Aristide Athanassiadis

Status change: Open → In Progress

I added all counties of the U.S. I think it makes more sense than just the ones of Chicago. At this stage I've added them in the one of Munich because they cover the entire US. Do let me know if you think it makes sense to add them to Chicago (I would say no).

Status change: In Progress → Completed

Ohhh, ok.

1. I thought limiting it to only Illinois (and then also for California eventually) would be fine for now, because I didn't want us to have a crazy amount of new ref spaces, but if Paul doesn't object, then fine.
  2. To me, it makes more sense to link them to Chicago, as this is our flagship city for US, so US data should be linked there. Just like I'd link Canadian data to Vancouver, Colombian to Medellin etc.

Haha, sorry I always to default to the MORE approach (because that also meant I did not have to filter and create a new file).
Ok for moving them to Chicago if need be. I didn't know whether Paul would need all the weird ref spaces in one city to see things more clearly.

Great work people. No objection from my side. I am in general cautious with loading huuuuuuge shapefiles if we are not 100% sure they are going to be useful. But US counties will be something I expect / hope we will be needing much more in the future so all good to have this for the entire country.