Community Portal

Circular Metabolism Podcast

Metabolism of Cities Community Hub
Back to topic list

Hi all,

In case you are looking for a podcast on Urban Metabolism (both in FR and EN), you're in luck.
Make sure to listen and watch our very own Circular Metabolism Podcast

• Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmY7ft2HM553nKbpUUoDIlGRxlGRsMQEt

• iTunes: http://tiny.cc/9flx7y

• Stitcher: http://tiny.cc/3glx7y

• Spotify: http://tiny.cc/nhlx7y

• Deezer: https://www.deezer.com/en/show/574072

Do you have a look, subscribe and share it with friends, colleagues and family!!

Welcome to the 21st episode of the Circular Metabolism podcast: "The case for Degrowth".

On this episode, we talk with Giorgos Kallis, who is an ecological economist and political ecologist working on environmental justice and limits to growth. He is a professor at CATALAN INSTITUTION FOR RESEARCH AND ADVANCED STUDIES. I wanted to chat with Giorgos about the publication of his new book "The Case for Degrowth" which he co-authored with Susan Paulson, Giacomo D’Alisa and Frederico Demaria (https://buff.ly/35hwX4c).

We discuss about degrowth, political ecology, common sense and cities.

Enjoy this episode and share it along. Please help us improve our podcast by subscribing to your favourite app and leave us a comment/review.

Thanks Aris! Sounds like a very nice podcast.

Do you have any suggestions on how I could download the MP3 files of the podcast? I'm very keen to listen but struggle to download the actual audio files. Note: the deezer link returns a 404 and the Youtube link goes to LinkedIn it seems.

Hey thanks Paul, I just changed the host and some redistribution might not work yet. Thanks as well for pointing out the misdirecting links.

Ok so here you can listen/download the mp3s (also check episode 20, that might be interesting for you, and here is the Youtube link.

Let me know what you think!! Some exciting ones are also planned!

Or for an even fancier website of the website (they create one as well) you can go here

YES!!! Thanks Aris, that worked. I can now download the files, jay!!! I'll be binging on your podcasts in the coming weeks ;-) Thanks!

I've just followed the podcast on Spotify and downloaded some episodes! When I go for a walk in the snowy landscape today, I will finally listen to it :)
Btw, you could also have a fancy website here: https://podcast.metabolismofcities.org/ It is just waiting for your input :P

Ok great! Enjoy the walk and hope you'll enjoy it.
Yes you are right I should work on this! Let me see whether there is already a task somewhere.

Welcome to the 23rd episode of the Circular Metabolism podcast: "The birth of social ecology".

On this episode, I have the honour to chat with Professor Marina Fischer Kowalski from the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna (BOKU) who founded the Institute of Social Ecology and was a founding figure for the International Society of Industrial Ecology as well as the European Society for Ecological Economics. Her work is very interdisciplinary and has evolved over the years but includes elements of social sciences, accounting, policy or even politics. She has written countless reports, articles and books on the topic of material flows analysis, industrial ecology, ecological economics and many more.

On this episode we discuss about the creation of the social ecology field and how it helped to establish material flow analysis as a policy making instrument.

Enjoy this episode and before you go, please help us improve our podcast by subscribing to your favourite app including Youtube, iTunes, Spotify or Stitcher and leave us a comment 📝 with your thoughts.

👀 Youtube
👂 iTunes
👂 Stitcher
👂 Spotify

urbanmetabolism #industrialecology #materialflowanalysis

Thanks Aris, great!! I've been listening to the podcasts and am about 10 episodes in. I'm taking notes and will share them with you as soon as I can. But really great to listen to them!

For the latest one, can you post a link to the MP3 please?
Thanks!

I found the MP3 at the same link you sent through before! For those searching:

MP3 episode 23
MP3 episode 22 -- this one seems to be in French

Thanks Paul, looking forward to your notes and thoughts! Ah yes sorry I did not post the mp3 link.
And yes do note that approx. half of the episode are in FR as they interview researchers, practitioners and policy makers from the French speaking world!
But it should be a problem for you, right?

Parler honnêtement , c'est pas de probleme Arise ;-) !!

Welcome to the 25th episode of the Circular Metabolism podcast: "Living Well Within Limits".

On this episode, I am very excited to speak with Julia Steinberger who is a Professor of Societal Challenges of Climate Change at the Université de Lausanne. After earning her PhD in MIT on ultracold hydrogen, she came back to Lausanne and Zürich to do postdoc fellowships before joining the Klagenfurt Institute of Social Ecology in 2007. In 2011, Julia became Associate Professor in Ecological Economics at the University of Leeds on Industrial, before returning last August in Université de Lausanne becoming a full professor. Julia researches and has largely published on the relationship between human needs and well-being on the one side and their associated resource and pollution requirements. More notably she is a lead author for the IPCC and is leading a project called Living Well within Limits. Finally, I think is fair to say that aside from research, Julia is a seasoned activist on environmental and societal subjects.

On this episode we talk about how to live well within limits, on how affluence is the strongest determinants of global impacts, what are some radical approaches to get out from the current mess and what are some strategies the reduce the environmental impact of cities.

Enjoy this episode and before you go, please help us improve our podcast by subscribing to your favourite app including Youtube, iTunes, Spotify, Deezer or Stitcher and leave us a comment 📝 with your thoughts.

👀 Youtube
👂 iTunes
👂 Stitcher
👂 Spotify

mp3 download available here

Thanks Aris! I'm downloading as we speak.

One note: the link for the mp3 above goes to a login page. The direct link to the MP3 file is here (I found it in the feed you posted earlier).

Welcome to the 26th episode of the Circular Metabolism podcast: "Post Growth - Life After Capitalism".

In the last episodes we explored some alternative societal and economic models such as degrowth, living well within limits, permacircularity and we continue our quest by looking into postgrowth. Today is a special day, I have the pleasure to talk to Tim Jackson about his new book Post Growth – Life After Capitalism!

Tim is an ecological economist and writer. Since 2016 he has been Director of the Centre for the Understanding of Sustainable Prosperity (CUSP). He holds degrees in mathematics (MA, Cambridge), philosophy (MA, Uni Western Ontario) and physics (PhD, St Andrews). Tim has been the author of Prosperity Without Growth a book that was highly influential for me 10 years ago when I was exploring the relationship between material flows, GDP and prosperity. Over the last years, he seems to be obsessed with growth, its ills and what we should really focus on in the society of tomorrow.

His new book title Post Growth which I had the pleasure to read thanks to the team at Polity is a mix between a history of economy, capitalism, science, and philosophy and a manifesto on how to build the next economy. You can find quotes of the Beatles, Boltzmann, Aristotle, Shakespeare, Stuart Mill and many others in order to better understand what the good life is and what motivates us.

On this episode we talk about how to what is post growth, what life after capitalism might look like, as well as how the flow state might be a solution to overcome current challenges.

Enjoy this episode and before you go, please help us improve our podcast by subscribing to your favourite app including Youtube, iTunes, Spotify, Deezer or Stitcher and leave us a comment 📝 with your thoughts.
👀 Youtube
👂 iTunes
👂 Stitcher
👂 Spotify
👂 Google

mp3 download available here